To see a selection of my paintings, please visit my web site at www.susangarrington.com or visit with me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/susangarringtonpaintings .




Monday, January 23, 2012

On Location In The Snow

I have been working up my courage to sketch and paint on location in the snow. Previously, I have hiked out to various locations in the snow to shoot photos and then used them as reference material. Yesterday I went out with a friend and finally worked on location in the snow. To keep things simple, I decided that I would sketch in pencil for this first attempt. It was really not much different than sketching on location in warmer weather. We had a beautiful sunny day to walk through the grounds and find a location. Next time I will bring along a small paint box to paint on location ( and perhaps some toe warmers, my backpack for supplies and my walking stick to make the uphill and downhill paths in the snow less of a worry ).
The sketch to the left was done down by river on the Elsie Perrin Williams Estate. The water was running quickly and combined with the sound of birds singing and the barking of happy dogs being taken out for a walk by their owners, background music of a sort kept me entertained. I must admit that when I returned to my car I very much enjoyed the thermos of hot cocoa waiting there for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment