To see a selection of my paintings, please visit my web site at www.susangarrington.com or visit with me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/susangarringtonpaintings .




Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Show at The Art Exchange:The Heart of Old South: "Caw Tales"

Bird Watching On Elmwood
This is one of my paintings which will be part of the group show at The Art Exchange from Nov.21st to Dec. 24th.

The working title of this piece was Caw Tale. Here is the reason.

When my grandson was very young, he called the crows, which are frequently seen and heard in Old South, caw tails. ( It was very poetic, I thought, but then, what grandmother wouldn't have thought the same thing? ).
Later, when he began to attend a daycare on Elmwood Ave, I occasionally picked him up at the end of the day. I felt like an old crone next to all the lovely young women who worked there as well as next to all the beautiful young moms.
One day, as I walked to the daycare from my car, I noticed the rooftop of a house on Elmwood and I loved the way it peeked out from the trees. Some years later, when I was preparing for our show, I decided to use the image of that particular house. I added a crow, partly because they are often to be found in the large trees in Old South, partly as a reminder of earlier years with my grandson but also as a companion for the old crone in my tale.
When it was finished I changed the title ( twice ), since Caw Tale probably made sense only to me. Its current title is, Bird Watching On Elmwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment